- Bachelor’s Degree with highest distinction, University of Iowa, 1988
- Juris Doctorate, University of Virginia, 1991
- Joined Bradley & Riley PC in 1998
- Bradley & Riley’s Litigation Practice Group, Chair
- Grippo & Elden, Chicago, Illinois, 1991-1998
Professional Memberships and Positions
- American Bar Association
- Litigation Section
- Tort Trial & Insurance Practice
- Iowa State Bar Association
- Federal Practice Committee, Chair 2014-2016
- Annual Meeting Committee
- Corporate Counsel Section Council
- Merit Selection Panel, Northern District of Iowa, 2015
- Federal Practice Committee, U.S. District Court, Northern District of Iowa, 2016-2020
- Historical Society, U.S. District Court, Northern District of Iowa, 2016-current, Vice President
- Chicago Bar Association
- Recipient of the 2005 Corridor Business Journal’s Forty Under 40 Award
- AV Peer Review Rated by Martindale-Hubbell Legal Directory
- Recognized by The Best Lawyers in America® as 2020 Lawyer of the Year for work in Litigation-Securities in Cedar Rapids
- Listed in Great Plains Super Lawyers® for Business Litigation, including Insurance
- Listed in Chambers USA America’s Leading Lawyers for General Commercial Litigation and Insurance Litigation
- Iowa State Courts
- Illinois State Courts
- United States District Court for the Northern and Southern Districts of Iowa
- United States District Courts for the Northern and Central Districts of Illinois
- United States District Court for the Eastern District of Michigan
- United States Court of Appeals for the Eighth Circuit
- United States Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit
Civic and Volunteer Involvement
- Cedar Rapids Museum of Art Board of Trustees, past President
- Dean Mason Ladd Inn of Court, past President
- Cedar Rapids Public Library Board of Trustees, past President
- Cedar Rapids Opera Theatre, past President
- The Englert Theatre, Board of Directors
- Quest International Monitor Service, Inc. v. Rockwell Collins, Inc., Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals, No. 20-55364, 2021 WL 1546944 (not published); United States District Court for the Central District of California, 8:19-cv-02471, and AAA Arbitration No. 01-18-0002-2945. Successfully represented Rockwell Collins against claims of breach of contract, negligent misrepresentation and misappropriation of intellectual property. The three-judge arbitration panel ruled in favor of Rockwell Collins and awarded attorney’s fees. The District Court for the Central District of California granted Rockwell Collins’ Motion to Dismiss and Motion to Confirm Arbitration Award, confirming the arbitration panel’s award. The Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals affirmed the District Court’s ruling.
- James McWilliams v. Rockwell Collins, Inc., et al, USDC., NDIA Case No. 1:17-cv-00123; Patti J. Sparling v. Rockwell Collins, Inc., USDC, NDIA, Case No. 1:17-cv-00137; Lase Guaranty Trust v. Rockwell Collins, Inc., USDC, NDIA Case No. 1:17-cv-00125; Mary Marchese v. Rockwell Collins, Inc., USDC, NDIA Case No. 1:17-cv-00128; Ted Sharpenter v. Rockwell Collins, Inc., USDC, NDIA Case No. 1:17-cv-00113; Matthew D. Heinly v. Rockwell Collins, Inc., USDC, NDIA Case No. 1:17-cv-00127; Cody Laidlaw v. Robert Kelly Ortberg, et al, IA Dist. Ct, Linn County, Case No. CVCV089293. Successfully represented Rockwell Collins in defending against multiple shareholder strike suits challenging its merger with UTC.
- Patricia Steines, as Administrator of the Estate of Drew Edwards, Walter Edwards and Barbara Edwards v. City of Maquoketa, Iowa, Jackson County, Iowa, Brendan Seimet, Steve Schroeder and Mike Owen, United States District Court for the Northern District of Iowa, 2:19-CV-1028 and In the Matter of the Estate of Drew Edwards, Iowa District Court for Jackson County, ESPR020805. Successfully represented City of Maquoketa with respect to Plaintiff’s multimillion dollar claims in excess of the City’s insurance policy limits. The matter was successfully resolved, including with the City’s carrier.
- Justinian Hobor, Michael Hobor, Nancy Hobor, Nancy Hobor Dewing, Aquinas Hobor and Roundwood Capital, LLC v. Pioneer Railcorp, Iowa District Court for Scott County, LACE129045. Successfully represented Pioneer Railcorp in and resolving declaratory judgment action alleging violations of the Iowa Business Corporations Act and disputes related to shareholder ownership.
- Lynx System Developers, Inc. and IsoLynx, LLC v. Zebra Enterprise Solutions Corporation, Zebra Technologies Corporation and ZIH Corp., No. 15-cv-12297 before the United States District Court, District of Massachusetts. Represented Zebra Enterprise Solutions Corporation, Zebra Technologies Corporation and ZIH Corp. in contesting trade secret, patent and breach of contract action arising from the parties’ business relationship.
- Rockwell Collins, Inc., Global Aerospace / West Atlantic Sweden AB. Successfully represented Rockwell Collins and carrier Global Aerospace in resolving multiple wrongful death claims involving multiple parties and arising from an airplane accident in Sweden.
- Jason Webb v. Steven L. Paine, State Superintendent of Schools, in his individual capacity and official capacity; and Jan Barth, Assistant State Superintendent of Schools, in her individual capacity and official capacity, No. 2:19-cv-447, before the United States District Court, Southern District of West Virginia, Charleston Division, represented ACT, Inc. and its representatives’ interests.
- Genosource, LLC v. Inguran, LLC, United States District Court, Northern District of Iowa No. 18-cv-113-CJW-KEM, 11/16/2018 temporary injunction granted: 2018 WL 6028710; 3/14/2019 preliminary injunction granted: 2019 WL 1210111.
- TRG, LP v. Cessna Aircraft Company, Rockwell Collins, Inc. and Safe Flight Instrument Corporation, No. 15-cv-09141 before the United States District Court, District of Kansas and No. LACV083330 in the Iowa District Court for Linn County. Successfully represented Rockwell Collins in multidistrict negligence, breach of warranty and products liability actions arising from an airplane accident whose flight originated from Leeds Bradford Airport in Yorkshire, Great Britain.
- Kum & Go, L.C. v. Financial Consulting and Trading International, Inc., No. 4:15-cv-00040-HCA, before the United States District Court for the Southern District of Iowa: successfully represented international ATM vendor in ATM contract dispute, resulting in order in favor of vendor, including entitlement to attorneys fees.
- Hawkeye Land Co. v. ITC Midwest, LLC, 2015 WL 4741141 (N.D. Iowa 2015). Represent electric transmission company in various forums, including the United States District Court for the Northern District of Iowa, contesting trespass and other commercial claims.
- Phoenix International Company, et al v. Infinity Contact, Inc., No 5:13-cv-05905, before the United States District Court for the Northern District of California. Represented call center vendor against TCPA class action claims and related coverage dispute; coverage over several policies, over several years, at issue.
- American Broadcasting Companies, Inc., et al v. Aereo, Inc., 2013 WL 5276124 (N.D. Iowa 2013). Successfully represented Aereo-competitor in motion to quash Aereo subpoena seeking competitor’s trade secrets, and securing attorney fee award in favor of client.
- American Foods Group, Inc. v. Iowa Quality Beef, L.L.C., et al., No. 1:06-cv-48-EJM before the United States District Court for the Northern District of Iowa. Representation in a complicated industrial equipment replevin action, resulting in judgment, orders in favor of client.
Publications and Speeches
- “Gender Matters” The Iowa Lawyer, November 2018
- “Advancing Diversity in the Workplace”; ISBA’s 2020 Corporate Counsel and Trade Regulation Seminar: Written Materials for the Panel
- “Promoting Diversity on Federal Bench and in Practice” ISBA Federal Practice Committee Seminars in 2017 and 2020
- “Battleground Discovery”, Perrin Conferences, Class Action Litigation Conference (2017)
- “Emerging Ethics Topics for In-House Counsel”, 3rd Annual Corporate Counsel Forum, Iowa Chapter of the Association of Corporate Counsel (2016)
- “Ethical Issues in Class Action Practice”, Perrin Conferences, Class Action Litigation Conference (2016)
- “New Federal Rules of Civil Procedure (effective 12/1/2015) and In-House Counsel Considerations of Same”, IA Association of Corporate Counsel Annual Meeting (2015)
- “New Federal Rules of Civil Procedure”, Perrin Conferences, Class Action Litigation Conference (2015)
- “Risk Management Overview; Policy Types & Coverage Typically Afforded and Additional Insured Coverage”, True North (2013)
- “Rotating Shift Considerations Under the ADA: Essential to the Job?”, Bradley & Riley PC / Iowa Chapter of the Association of Corporate Counsel (2013)
- “Developments in Broad Form Indemnification Provisions — Issues in Contracting”, Iowa State Bar Association Annual Meeting (2013)
- “Effective Conflict Waivers”, Iowa State Bar Association Annual Meeting (2012)
- “Ethical Considerations: Internal Investigations; Settlement Negotiations and Agreements”, Iowa State Bar Association Annual Meeting (2011)