Timothy J. Hill
Areas of Practice: Commercial Litigation, including Insurance
- Bachelor’s Degree with highest distinction, University of Iowa, 1988
- Juris Doctorate, University of Virginia, 1991
- Joined Bradley & Riley PC in 1998
- Bradley & Riley’s Litigation Practice Group, Chair
- Grippo & Elden, Chicago, Illinois, 1991-1998
Professional Memberships and Positions:
- American Bar Association
- Litigation Section
- Tort Trial & Insurance Practice
- Iowa State Bar Association
- Federal Practice Committee, Chair 2014-2015
- Annual Meeting Committee
- Litigation Section Council
- Linn County Bar Association
- Chicago Bar Association
- National Trial Advocacy Skills Program presented by the National Institute of Trial Advocacy
- 2005 recipient of the Corridor Business Journal’s Forty Under 40 Award
- Iowa State Courts
- Illinois State Courts
- United States District Court for the Northern and Southern Districts of Iowa
- United States District Courts for the Northern and Central Districts of Illinois
- United States District Court for the Eastern District of Michigan
- United States Court of Appeals for the Eighth Circuit
- Lexington Insurance Company v. Lil’ Drug Store Products, Inc., No. 1230008827, arbitration before JAMS. Represented insured in complex coverage litigation arising from underlying class action suit filed in California. The three judge panel ruled in favor of insured, based on under-developed Iowa coverage law regarding carrier’s right to reimbursement of defense costs.
- Berthel Fisher & Company Financial Services, Inc. v. Arch Specialty Insurance Co., Brown & Brown of California, Inc. d/b/a CalSurance Assoc., No. 1:10-cv-000123-JSS before the United States District Court for the Northern District of Iowa. Representing a securities broker-dealer in an errors and omissions coverage dispute against its insurer concerning the scope of coverage owed in response to multiple underlying investor claims seeking millions.
- American Program Bureau, Inc. v. Trinity J. Ray, The Tuesday Agency, LLC, and Tuesday Productions, LLC, Case No. 12-cv-10490 before the United States District Court for the District of Massachusetts (Eastern Division). Represented Defendants in a claim alleging tortious interference, misappropriation of confidential information and trade secrets. The case involved novel issues in the Second Circuit applying federal law under the Federal Courts Jurisdiction and Venue Clarification Act of 2011, including removal where plaintiff failed to plead the jurisdiction, and transfer of venue where conduct allegedly violating State statute occurred outside of the State and the District Court.
- American Foods Group, Inc. v. Iowa Quality Beef, L.L.C., et. al., No. 1:06-cv-48-EJM before the United States District Court for the Northern District of Iowa. Representation in a complicated industrial equipment replevin action.
- George Brothers Propane and Fertilizer Corp. v. MMA Insurance Co., et al., No. 4:07-cv-03053-RGK-DLP, United States District Court for Nebraska. Represented health insurer in complex insurance coverage dispute involving the interaction of health insurance and workers’ compensation coverage.
- Catholic Order of Foresters, et al. v. U.S. Bancorp Piper Jaffray, et. al., 337 F. Supp. 2d 1148 (N.D. IA. 2004). Represented several insurers in securities fraud action.
- Poclaim Hydraulics, Inc. v. Winterthur Int’l., et al., No. 02-CV-1784, Wisconsin State Court, Racine County. Represented insured in coverage dispute involving various CGL policies.
Civic and Volunteer Involvement:
- Brucemore Board of Trustees, Program Committee
- Cedar Rapids Museum of Art Board of Trustees, Past President
- Dean Mason Ladd Inn of Court, President
- Cedar Rapids Public Library Board of Trustees, Past President
- Cedar Rapids Opera Theatre, Past President
- Graduate of Greater Cedar Rapids Area Chamber of Commerce Leadership for Five Seasons Program
Publications and Speeches:
- “Risk Management Overview; Policy Types & Coverage Typically Afforded and Additional Insured Coverage,” True Advantage (2013)
- “Rotating Shift Considerations Under the ADA: Essential to the Job?” Bradley & Riley PC / Iowa Chapter of the Association of Corporate Counsel (2013)
- “Developments in Broad Form Indemnification Provisions — Issues in Contracting,” Iowa State Bar Association Annual Meeting (2013)
- “Effective Conflict Waivers,” Iowa State Bar Association Annual Meeting (2012)
- “Ethical Considerations: Internal Investigations; Settlement Negotiations and Agreements,” Iowa State Bar Association Annual Meeting (2011)
- “Federal Case law Update and New Federal Rules of Civil Procedure,” Iowa State Bar Association Annual Meeting (2010)
- “Rules and Procedures for Federal Court Success,” National Business Institute (Winter 2007, Spring 2009)
- “Insurance Coverage Litigation,” National Business Institute (Fall 2006)